1984 Sikh Genocide: Probe Complete, Centre Seeks Permission in SC To Disband SIT || SNE
By admin .
Nov 30, 2019
The Central Government today sought permission in the Supreme Court to disband the Special Investigation Team (SIT) probing the 1984 Sikh Genocide.
The SIT, which was formed last year on the Court’s orders to investigate the cases concerning 1984 Sikh Genocide, has completed its probe in the matter and the report has been submitted to the Court. In light of the same, the SIT is now sought to be disbanded by the Centre, Additional Solicitor General Pinky Anand told the Court.
Senior Counsel HS Phoolka sought to peruse the report of the SIT. However, ASG Pinky Anand opposed the same on the grounds that the report is confidential and in a sealed cover.
The Bench headed by Chief Justice of India SA Bobde and comprising Justices BR Gavai and Surya Kant said that the Court will pass necessary orders in two weeks.
The SIT was formed on instructions issued by a Bench of then Chief Justice of India Dipak Misra and Justices AM Khanwilkar and DY Chandrachud in January 2018, to to probe 186 cases in the 1984 Sikh Genocide.
The case pertains to the riots against the Sikh community that took place in Delhi’s Trilok Puri area, in the aftermath of former Prime Minister Indira Gandhi’s assassination.
In November last year, the Delhi High Court upheld the trial court conviction of 89 persons accused in the case. However, in May this year, the Supreme Court acquitted 7 of these persons, finding that there wasn’t sufficient evidence to prove their guilt in the case.
In December, last year the High Court also convicted Congress leader and former Member of Parliament (MP) Sajjan Kumar for his role in the 1984 Sikh Genocide, apart from convicting five more. Sajjan Kumar’s appeal challenging his High Court conviction is still pending before the Supreme Court.